Our daily experiences are shaped by innovation, providing us a chance to grab the convenience extended by modern technology. Since the arrival of voice-enabled digital assistants and smart speakers, voice user interfaces (VUI) have experienced tremendous popularity among developers and consumers alike. It is an interaction between computers and humans by using spoken language. Answering questions and speaking commands are performed by speech recognition that is included in this automation. These voice interfaces are everywhere and now replace graphic user technology (computers and mobile phone screens). For instance:
A wide range of devices can have the VUI, such as:
- Smart Speakers
- Sound systems
- Smartphones and smart wristwatches
- Laptops, desktop computers
More common instances of a voice command device are Google Home, Alexa, iPhone, and Siri claimed to be the best audio interface for voice-over by customers.
Advantages of Voice user interfaces
- Eyes-free: People can focus on just one task at a time and let the device perform its task. Voice user interface example for this can be driving; you can just drive focusing on the road while listening to the instructions rather than looking at GPS or maps. It is very much empirical for issues related to screening fatigue.
- Faster than typing: Using voice user interface design users can efficiently dictate messages rather than typing which consumes time. According to a study conducted by Stanford, typing is four times slower than speaking on a touch screen device; this makes VUI a great method of input for searching from large stock items and filling complex forms.
- Multiple shopping: Ordering from multiple websites becomes easy with a data science career in voice interface. You can simply tell voice user interface to visit different domains and shop items and it will assist you to get them done. All you have to do is collect the order when delivers home.
VUI tips for voice designers
The applications, purpose, and context of voice user interface design are mandatory to be kept in mind by voice designers before designing it. Provided below are the step to follow while designing VUI:
Crowd-sourcing the requirements:
The first rule while designing a VUI is to plan a user-centered design. The end-user needs are required which will be the ultimate fundamental data to design a product. Identifying the problematic areas of the end-users and how the incorporation of VUI will ease their work.
Assigning the capabilities:
An application or device framework which is supposed to be developed is necessary to be formed with the following protocols:
- Developing fundamental situations of interaction that will be identified by voice user interface and evaluating its usage to prioritize the devices. The situations identified must be tested for compatibility with the voice input.
- The interface needs to perceive the slot, utterance, and intent of the command. The UX and UI designers of the voice user interface while developing the software need to consider these variations.
A clear vision of dialogue flow:
While creating a voice interaction between the technology and a user it is crucial to work out the challenges that come across in a voice user interface. A prototype needs to be formed by the developers to address the dialogue flow on a specific issue. A prototype must accommodate:
- Example dialogues for technology and user
- The focus keywords of interaction
The VUI application needs to be sensitive towards spotting cryptic words and evaluate what they could mean, correct mispronunciations, and spellings and avoid irrelevant answers which are not understood.
Testing before implementation
It is always important to test the product quality to know if it matches the requirements of the clients’ company. A target audience can be created by VUI developers to test the voice interface and observe the interactions of users with the technology. Stimulators can be used for testing the product design to recognize its efficiency.
Evaluation and upgrading
The efficiency of the voice command performance needs to be checked once the product has hit the market. Periodical upgrading of different aspects of the interface can be fixed to avoid recurring issues.